Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum

Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/index.php)
-   Enduro Suspension (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Help with marzocchi 45mm (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=26092)

maneuon 03-21-2023 08:16 PM

Help with marzocchi 45mm

Goodnight I have a 2011 gasgas 300 with marzocchi shiver forks I've messed with them a lot, but whenever I ride the bike they make my hands sore I tweaked the valves, softened the compression, stiffened the rebound, I'm using 7.5w oil and things have improved, but I'm still not liking the forks. I weigh 65 kg, I wanted to do the best I could, but without messing with the springs

SS109 03-21-2023 09:21 PM

Springs are ALWAYS the starting point for getting a suspension dialed in correctly. Without the correct springs I highly doubt you'll ever get it where you're happy with it.

(F5) 03-21-2023 11:27 PM

With mine it was my arms and elbows in particular that took a beating on the rough stuff. I was getting worried that I really wasn't able to ride those sort of rides anymore.

A set of YZ250 SSS forks fixed that. Although you will need softer springs and a revalve they are sophisticated enough to bring you joy. We just did a mates 2010 and he was impressed.

Revalved zokes didn't get me near, although did help with tree root deflection. SSS are better everywhere. Search for conversion threads. Or upgrade to a later GG with the KYB SSS forks fitted std.

maneuon 03-21-2023 11:29 PM

I understand perfectly, but I'm not willing to spend a lot on these forks, so I think it's more feasible to buy another one that's more up-to-date. I just wish they would stop hitting my hands so much, even on small irregularities.

gasgasman 03-22-2023 07:54 AM

Maybe try Flexx Bars.

Zman 03-22-2023 08:09 AM

Can you reduce the spring preload and remove some oil to reduce the air spring.

Anders 03-22-2023 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gasgasman (Post 201332)
Maybe try Flexx Bars.

Or Twisted engineering. Pricy, but good. I have had mine for at least 8 years without any worries.

Sent fra min YAL-L21 via Tapatalk

Moto7man 03-22-2023 09:54 PM

You Might Not Want to Hear This

I bought my 2011 EC 300 new and I sent my forks to Drew Smith at Works Enduro Rider. He revalved and resprung them and installed SKF seals. They are smooth and progressive and I have have never had a problem with them. I am still riding it with the same setup now.

https://werproducts.net/

maneuon 03-22-2023 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moto7man (Post 201335)
I bought my 2011 EC 300 new and I sent my forks to Drew Smith at Works Enduro Rider. He revalved and resprung them and installed SKF seals. They are smooth and progressive and I have have never had a problem with them. I am still riding it with the same setup now.

Can you tell me what was done to yours? I would like to copy to mine

maneuon 03-22-2023 10:31 PM

I rode the bike today after putting the 7.5w oil at 130mm. I was happy with how it handled the big obstacles, but the road rib vibrations were too aggressive in my hands.

maneuon 03-22-2023 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moto7man (Post 201335)

I live in Brazil, it is not possible to contact this company

ninetenseven 03-23-2023 05:56 AM

Try softer grips.

I suffer a lot less from wrist pain and calusses now that I ride with very soft grips (full waffle). Mind you, it's not for everybody since its a different feel of the handlebar, but you can get them really cheap without further venturing into the suspension set up.

The con: I change them every 10h or so, they tend to gain holes or desintegrate due to the friccion with the gloves.

Zman 03-23-2023 08:01 AM

If you reduce preload on the spring you will soften the initial part of the stroke and it should help address your problem.

maneuon 03-25-2023 04:12 PM

I just wanted my forks to work well, it doesn't have to be a specific setup for me. But they are very bad on the roads

SS109 03-25-2023 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maneuon (Post 201350)
I just wanted my forks to work well, it doesn't have to be a specific setup for me. But they are very bad on the roads

If you want it to perform well then it must be setup for you. That's the whole point of different spring rates, weight of fork oil, and different valving being available.

Moto7man 03-27-2023 02:59 PM

It Takes Some Time and Effort

Quote:

Originally Posted by SS109 (Post 201351)
If you want it to perform well then it must be setup for you. That's the whole point of different spring rates, weight of fork oil, and different valving being available.

Yes,that is correct.:)

maneuon 04-25-2023 10:02 PM

Is it possible to get a good adjustment on this suspension? I'm disappointed. she's new and I don't like her. even motocross bikes with suspension for heavier riders are better than my bike on the trail

SS109 04-25-2023 10:07 PM

We've all pointed out what you can possibly do and/or should do to make it feel better. Have you tried those things?

(F5) 04-26-2023 01:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maneuon (Post 201472)
Is it possible to get a good adjustment on this suspension? I'm disappointed. she's new and I don't like her. even motocross bikes with suspension for heavier riders are better than my bike on the trail

Set the compression to 15 on one side, 12.5 on the other, reduce the rebound to 7 on both. Then fit some KYBs that are actually sprung and valved for your very light weight.

Summary to you question; no. If the rest of the bike is good - it (fork swap) is worth it. If it is a worn out 12yr old bike then it is not worth it. Start saving.

Week before last I had a great weekend riding my old but rejuvenated 07 which has better suspension than my 2021 beta.

maneuon 04-26-2023 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SS109 (Post 201473)
We've all pointed out what you can possibly do and/or should do to make it feel better. Have you tried those things?

the spring that comes on the suspension is 0.42 and the ideal spring for my weight is 0.40, it's not that far away. like i said even motocross bikes with heavier springs are better than mine. Assuming that my spring is for 75 kg and the suspension is good for 75 kg, it would suit me too, it would just be a little stiffer. What I'm saying is that the suspension doesn't work well. Oil is 7.5 to 140mm I'm only using 4 shims of compression and even then the suspension rarely reaches the end of the stroke.

maneuon 04-26-2023 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by (F5) (Post 201474)
Set the compression to 15 on one side, 12.5 on the other, reduce the rebound to 7 on both. Then fit some KYBs that are actually sprung and valved for your very light weight.

Summary to you question; no. If the rest of the bike is good - it (fork swap) is worth it. If it is a worn out 12yr old bike then it is not worth it. Start saving.

Week before last I had a great weekend riding my old but rejuvenated 07 which has better suspension than my 2021 beta.

I'm thinking of installing the race tech gold valves and seeing if the suspension works acceptably, otherwise I think the solution will be to change them. I looked at a 47mm show on ebay and the value is attractive. I think even the original ones would work better, then later I change the springs and do the race tech genetics on them too

SS109 04-26-2023 06:18 PM

Ok, these are a few things I've done to make my forks to eat up the small chop.

Try going to a 5wt fork oil. That's what I've run in every fork I've owned including Showa, KYB, and Marzocchi Shiver 45 and PFP48's with great results. Run your outer chamber with just enough oil to keep from bottoming hard and run zero preload on your spring.

maneuon 04-27-2023 03:33 PM

I was 130mm now I'm down to 140mm I'll try. The spring preload has not yet been adjusted, it is original My compression pants are 22,19,17,15(0.1) it never reaches the end of the course, it's missing about 2cm. I'm going to walk and see if with the lower oil it works better in the course