Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum

Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/index.php)
-   Enduro Engine - 2 stroke (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Cylinder markings on wall any ideas?? (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=14896)

nambo-trev 05-08-2013 07:21 AM

Cylinder markings on wall any ideas??

2 Attachment(s)
Anyone have an idea of what this marking could be from. It almost looks looked like a scrape mark but I think it feels raised? Can I get your guys advice??

Attachment 3290Attachment 3291

Jakobi 05-08-2013 07:41 AM

Which jug is that Trev? Any markings/damage to the rings or piston? Have you tried cleaning it up at all with some carb cleaner and scotchbright? Intake side so maybe something thats been pulled through the intake? Reed valve?

nambo-trev 05-08-2013 07:54 AM

Sadly it's a ktm jug lol. I was just curious about ideas I thought maybe a chunk of carbon off the piston. I'm getting the boys at work to give it a quick hone so no biggie. Piston had markings to and bike ran like crap. I am trying to get it race ready for a buddy on Saturday. Should be all good but ill definetly have a peak at the reed block as well. Thanks bro!

Jiikoo811 05-08-2013 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nambo-trev (Post 110666)
Sadly it's a ktm jug lol. I was just curious about ideas I thought maybe a chunk of carbon off the piston. I'm getting the boys at work to give it a quick hone so no biggie. Piston had markings to and bike ran like crap. I am trying to get it race ready for a buddy on Saturday. Should be all good but ill definetly have a peak at the reed block as well. Thanks bro!

Seen very similar in KTM 300 2011 cylinder, 100hrs.. first piston change, but it was exhaust side of cyl.

GMP 05-08-2013 09:07 AM

If its actually raised from the nikasil surface, its likely deposited aluminum from the piston.

nambo-trev 05-08-2013 09:33 AM

How much can I hone it do you think before the nickasil will be to thin? I thought maybe half a thousand after looking at it

GMP 05-08-2013 09:47 AM

You can't actually hone away nikasil unless you have diamond hone. What they finish hone with after replating is a little different than your average flex hone that just deglazes. I'd start working it with some scotchbrite just in that area, you'll see results quick enough if its aluminum. Then just an even scotchbrite cleanup of the entire bore or a light hone deglaze. If nikasil is damaged then oh well you know what to do.

nambo-trev 05-08-2013 09:49 AM

Roger that Glenn ill give the scotch brite a try thx

GMP 05-08-2013 09:53 AM

Trevor,

You cant hurt anything that way, it will only remove what is soft.

adv rider 05-08-2013 10:25 AM

raised marking

You can remove deposited aluminum with acid. I have removed much worse, from melted down topends