Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum

Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/index.php)
-   Enduro Suspension (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   '05 EC250 -- Way saggy (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=3048)

AZRickD 07-15-2008 11:40 PM

'05 EC250 -- Way saggy

I have the bike all set up (complete with Trail Tech Endurance computer whose pickup doesn't match the arc of the magna-bolt).

Anyway, I decided to check the sag.

With the forks level in the top clamp. Me at 190 and a 25-pound weight to represent full gear. I believe I have stock springs front and rear (the original owner was thirty pounds lighter and a mid-pack B rider. I'm a slow-C).

The insignia on the shock spring is a yellow Ohlins with "00596 10/52 L 264" written on it.

Static sag is 41.3mm. Race sag is 124mm (oops). I had loosened the spring earlier when I removed it, so this is not the setting at which I was actually riding.

I've heard some say that Gassers do well with higher static and race sag (approaching 30+ and 110+ respectively if I recall correctly).

What's a good setting for a rocky single-track rider who is afraid of speed? I'd be open to raising the forks up in the clamps if I use bigger sag numbers.

Thanks,

Rick

bergerhag 07-16-2008 05:40 AM

How does it feel when you ride it?

Are you having problems? If not, leave it there. Ride.

GMP 07-16-2008 07:52 AM

Do a search, there was a discussion last year about setup and running less than 10mm preload on the rear spring.

Eric K 07-16-2008 08:36 AM

Those are very near the sag numbers I run for very technical trail riding. Try it like it is and see how it works.

If you need to satisfy your curiosity, reduce the sag and try it again.

I expect that you will like more sag.

angrytim 07-16-2008 09:10 AM

I ride in alot of rocks. I run the sag @ 105. LT-R did my suspension and it works well. When I got it back from LT-R, I rode it and had some issues, but the sag was @ 115 and the bike didn't handle as well. Changed it to 105 and all is well.

skid jackson 07-16-2008 06:24 PM

I weighed 195lbs butt naked when I sent my shock out to ltr for tuning. He put a 54 spring on it. That is the next size up from yours. I'm currently down to 185 les said to keep running the 54 and I probably wuoldn't have to change it unless i got below 175. If I had a 52 I'd pop it in just to see how it is. I ride very rocky slow technical terrain, c rider also.

AZRickD 07-17-2008 12:50 PM

I'm going to try for a sag of 110mm and raise the forks up the clamps a few millimeters. I've been under the weather the last two days so my activity has been slim.

PEB 07-17-2008 04:00 PM

Based on previous posts and my recent tinkering, what is working well on my 02 is about 8mm of preload on the spring. I haven't bothered with measuring the sag. Once the rear was set I messed with forks till I got the stabilty/turning balance right where I like it.

Paul

AZRickD 07-17-2008 04:23 PM

That' how I'll do it as well -- tailor it to desert single track (I'm rarely on a track).

With the tight riding we do around here, highspeed stability isn't of much importance -- and I'm still impressed with the amount of stability as is while still turning quickly.

What I'll look for is quick lean-in on turns and keeping my front-end down on hill climbs.

And I'll do all that, as soon as I can shake this bug.

AZRickD 07-24-2008 08:28 PM

I set it at about 31mm static and 110 race sag. Didn't measure the pre-load accurately enough. I'll tune from there.

I also moved the forks up the clamps from flush to 10mm up.

Testing this weekend.