View Single Post
Old 02-06-2013, 06:38 AM

Default 'Upgrade' to a KTM 350EXC from My GG 300EC?

Has any-one ridden both - I have but not raced the 350 or rode in the wet.

My impression of the KTM 350 was it felt as light as the GG 300 and similar power, similar abaility to pop wheelies. Good brakes (as good as the GG) suspension felt good out of the box but was not an exhaustive test. Build quality felt A1 on the KTM and the motor was nice and smooth.

I'm wondering whether to go for the KTM - I fancy a change but also I'm feeling a bit down on the GG at the moment - main problem s are
1) I stall too easily in very slow enduro conditions which is actually because the motor makes so much torque so I shift up until there is little power available - this could be 2nd or 3rd at walking pace - then it's too easy to stall as the motor is probably doing 800rpm or something.
2) The lack of build quality is getting to me - most races will see plastic shrouds coming away from the tank somewhere, the seat is cracked and has lost a lug etc etc
I'm thinking if I'm changng bikes I'd prefer something different (so maybe not another GG 2t) and I don't want to shell out ?1000 on a rekluse on this old bike to fix the stalling issue.
'95 ish XR630 (died many times in Oz)