View Single Post
Old 04-11-2009, 05:37 AM

I've changed compression and rebound shims on this 05 ec300 and compression stacks on a 99 KTM200 with conventional marzocchi's.

Basically take your forks to bits - there are some excellent you tube videos on this you will need to make a bit of a tool up to hold one part of the innards while you unscrwe another part - it's not too difficult to do once you can see what you want to do.

Once you can look at the shim stacks of your fork understand where the oil goes when your forks hit a bump so then you will see how the shim stacks work. Next step is to make the stack softer, my approach has always been to make the compression very soft and then if I need to stiffen it up again. The reason for this is it would help me understand the effect of the changes but in both cases I never needed to stiffen up the shim stacks again.

My stock base (compression) stack was

And I changed to
13 shims after this do not add to the stiffness of teh stack really I just stored them here you could almost ignore them.

This stack is much much softer. - if you wanted to use something as soft as this is upto you and depends on what you're looking for and your speed/weight etc. ...
'95 ish XR630 (died many times in Oz)