View Single Post
Old 05-09-2009, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattR View Post
I have not did my own fork revalving yet, but can offer a few suggestions based on my suspension background (automotive shocks). The shim/disc stack is very sensitive to both diameter and thickness changes. The stiffness of a disc is proportional to the cube of its thickness (in other words... thickness ^ 3). The real equation is complex but this will give you an idea. So changing even a single disc can have a dramatic effect on the entire valve stack. Also, a small diameter disc directly below a larger diameter diameter disc acts as a "pivot" disc. It causes the larger disc to pivot/bend at that location.

Just looking at the numbers you posted... your original compression stack looks very stiff. It's no surprise that you had harshness over small stuff. You had 6 discs with same diameter and thickness for the initial stage. Very stiff! Your newer compression stack should be better, but only riding it will tell you. The 14mm diameter disc will be the first pivot disc and breaks the stack into 2 stages. The discs listed below this one look like a pyramid stack and will contribute to the mid to high speed stuff.

Your rebound stack now looks quite stiff with no smaller diameter pivot disc. You basically have a pyramid stack (think upsidedown decreasing diameters).

Leave it alone for now and ride it... let us know the outcome and make only a few changes next time. A word of caution: it's best to make 1 or 2 changes at a time and test the result. You made a whole bunch of changes and are really starting from scratch here. Good luck!
Sorry about that, I was getting desperate. Thanks for the help with this.
I've tried not to anything to drastic, but as you can see, it looked like some big changes needed to be made.

I'm gonna run it tomorrow and see how it goes, unless i'm plesently suprised, i'll probably get it professionaly re-valved. I really wanted to make some changes so it was more bairable for tomorrow.

We will see