View Single Post
Old 05-14-2009, 11:35 AM

Not to add anything to the procedures mentioned above but many riders don't know the correct procedures because they don't know why it's done that way.

The reason that the Rotor side has to be locked in place before any final adjustment is because the rotor side has to have the rotor correctly aligned with the caliper not the fork. Once the rotor side is done, it might be worth while to check and see if the rotor is exactly where it's supposed to be with regards to the caliper.

Then proced with the final adjustments.

Having answered that, I also have a question re. the final adjustment procedure. Matts and GMPs procedure follow most mfgs procedures for the Rotor side adjustment. What doesn't seem right to me with this is that the axle nut is partially tightened then the Rotor side pinch bolts are tightened down. Then the axle bolt is finally torqued. To me it seems that the final torquing of the axle bolt reintroduces stress to the already torqued pinch bolts. So I never do it that way. I always torque the axle down than torque the Rotor side pinch bolts. To me this just seems to make more sense even though I've never seen a manual that recommend my procedure. I just don't know the logic of doing it the other way and no one has ever been able to explain it to me.

Tony