View Single Post
Old 06-30-2010, 09:17 PM
Silver Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
It must be the moon rocks in Sweden, because the stock EC (250/300) forks feel pretty decent on small stuff in Michigan. Not so much on the slap downs, but overall really good for out of the box legs.

HOWEVER - check the forks carefully and take action on this - I found the 1.0mm thick spring spacer ring on the top of the spring cracked and coned. The springs have very little pre-load to begin with so my plan was to replace the original with a 3.0mm spacer, but if this had completely broken it would have been catastrophic.

The forks look good as far as construction goes, but with some odd-dimensioned components, but the work to modify the compression tap and valve stack for increased tuneability continues.
One thing I don't like about the Sachs fork is the rod stopper is peened into position.
The Marz fork has a removable one, that allows removal and thus the rod can be removed to access the rebound and mid-valve piston/stack.
Looks like on the Sachs you have to remove the cart head which requires a special cart body holding tool and some heat to split the two apart.
Anyone who has had one apart care to comment on that ??