View Single Post
Old 03-09-2007, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffd View Post
I don't want to get into a battle - but based on what I understand there is nothing wrong with this fork that needs to be "fixed".

What matters is the clearance between the bushing and the fork upper - and on some forks it does make sense to relieve the "land" in order to increase this clearance (race-tech does this on certain showa forks). The Marzocchi fork has more than sufficient clearance in this area and no modification is necessary to "fix it".

jeff

p.s. The only reason I am saying something here is that I don't feel that there is anything wrong with this fork in this area - when properly valved the fork is very, very supple - even with very little break in time on them.
IMO these have EXACTLY the same problem as the old Showas.

The Marzocchi Shiver fork I had apart had ZERO clearance for the bushing to move ON the tube. Seems to me that would create a "scraper" type situation? Could be why they tend to foul the oil quickly? Whether you "fix" the bushing land or hone the upper tube, you are re-engineering a poor design. I wouldn't want to take the chance of cutting thru any hard-coated anodizing in the upper tube though.

If these don't suffer from binding why do they have to be valved so soft?

Not trying to argue just have an entirely different opinion of what I've seen.

Last edited by KTMLew; 03-12-2007 at 04:18 PM. Reason: Corrected grammer