View Single Post
Old 03-13-2007, 12:00 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTMLew View Post
IMO these have EXACTLY the same problem as the old Showas.

The Marzocchi Shiver fork I had apart had ZERO clearance for the bushing to move ON the tube. Seems to me that would create a "scraper" type situation? Could be why they tend to foul the oil quickly? Whether you "fix" the bushing land or hone the upper tube, you are re-engineering a poor design. I wouldn't want to take the chance of cutting thru any hard-coated anodizing in the upper tube though.

If these don't suffer from binding why do they have to be valved so soft?

Not trying to argue just have an entirely different opinion of what I've seen.
These forks do not have the same problem as the showas - the showas didn't have enough clearance between the bushing and the upper fork leg. You are stating that having the bushing fit tight on the lower leg is an issue - given the choice of having it fit snug and having it "float" - I would prefer to have it fit snug; Having it fit snug doesn't turn it into a "scraper" as you suggest.

The other comments you make about the fork are not consistent with what I know about this fork; I confirmed this with a suspension tuner who has done over a hundred sets of these forks...

1. This fork does not have to be "valved so soft" to compensate for "binding". They are valved like any other "good working" fork.

2. These forks do not "foul the oil" quickly when installed properly. There will be dirty oil if the triple clamp pinch bolts are improperly torqued to a high value; The causes the upper fork tube to collapse and the fork to bind, and wear, when the slider passes this area.

Both a friend (the suspension tuner friend of mine) and I have cannondale marzocchi forks mounted on a different bike - valved for my weight and terrain and they are "pure magic". My friend has had both sets apart and there is absolutely nothing wrong with them.

Again, I don't want to battle. And the only reason I am saying anything is that the fork is being unfairly characterized. And both the fork and the bike are being improperly demeaned as a result.

jeff