View Single Post
Old 02-04-2023, 06:02 PM

Default Conventional fork upgrade

I have a GasGas 450 pampera 2008 with supermoto wheels. The forks that came with the bike are "conventional" forks. I think they are Marzocchi magnum 45 mm forks. They do not have any kind of adjustment at all apart from changing the fork oil weight. As I have been riding on the street I used slightly heavier oil than the manual suggests and since I have really not ridden any more bikes and have nothing to compare it to I would say that they feel okay. I had a GasGas 515 that I got to ride a couple of times and it had the marzocchi Shiver forks. As the riding time was super limited and the forks had leaks so they probably were not to 100% of their capability but they did seem to perform better.

I am also hoping to find a set of enduro wheels for my bike and would like to ride off-road too so having adjustable forks that perform well on other surfaces from pavement would benefit.

Now to my question: Would it be a worthwhile upgrade to buy a set of adjustable forks? I found a set for fairly cheap price. They do look well used and need seals, etc but I don't mind doing that work as it is a chance to see how they work and learn. The bonus is that they come with the triple clamps as I can not re use mine because of the diameter differences.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/144862436716

Is the wearing coating on the lower parts a problem?
Are these forks even worth going for? As I said I have little to no experience offroad so having the "best" is not important.
Should I just keep my old forks?
Is there a better option that is "cheap"?
I have not yet cross-checked the part numbers to see if the axle etc fits but I would guess that they did not change that up.