Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Suspension

Enduro Suspension Tuning & maintenance of Enduro forks, shocks, etc

Old 03-04-2009, 02:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stay_upright View Post
At the minute my 05 300 is a lot more robust than either my 99 200 ktm, a friends 99 ktm or another friends 07 200 ktm. They have quite a few issues - all of them have clutch slave cylinder issues, some clutch master cylinders and a surprising amount of faults on the 07 ktm that seemed like poor design or quality.
Maybe I was lucky but I had an 04 KTM 450 and I reckon it needed a 1/3 of the work my Gasser did. Everything held together and the only maintenance it seemed to need apart from oil was valve clearances about once a year. But ... I preferred the Gasser somehow. Can't be sure why.

Old 03-04-2009, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stay_upright View Post
Bukwheat - I would rebuild with standard 7.5wt oil as whatever issue you are trying to fix will be changed when you build the forks correctly. Quite a few people think these forks could do with more rebound damping and 5wt will only reduce this from stock.

Was it the compression check plate washer (spring loaded) that was missing?

I'm a fairly light rider (160lbs) and I was looking for a more supple setting than
what I had prior to oil change. It maybe that I do have too much rebound and that maybe some of the problem. After I get them rebuilt (still waiting on
parts to arrive) I will see how it feels and may go for the 7.5 wt. you suggest.
Thanks for the info.
Old 03-05-2009, 03:37 AM

I use a compression shim stack that is nice and supple - can find/post it if you want of maybe you want to rebuild first and take it from there?i only used shims already present in the stack so no need to buy some.
'95 ish XR630 (died many times in Oz)
Old 03-06-2009, 07:48 AM

Yeah, I will try it out for a couple of weeks and then I might hit you up for the info on the shim stack. Thanks for the offer!
Old 03-17-2009, 07:55 AM

Just wanted to update you gents on the additional findings in the fork rebuild job.

Upon reassembly of the fork that was missing the large washer/ring, the pilot bushing was spread apart about 3/8 of an inch. I tried collapsing the bushing in a vice and that helped a small bit. But I ended up safety wiring it closed and as it seated, the safety wire slid off real slick like....excellent.

Obviously the pilot bushing was never seated in this fork from the factory and they (Marzocchi) just left the large washer out....

Anyway, they're back together and will see how they work this weekend at the Fun Run at Perry Mtn.
Old 03-17-2009, 09:54 AM

You shouldn't have to go to such extremes to seat that bushing, I hope it wasn't damaged. I have a seal/bushing driver I got for around $40 that makes life so much eaiser. It works with both the Zoke 45s as well as WP 43s so all the bikes I work on are covered. Before that I used home made PVC drivers. The bushing should go in easy if you heat the tube with a propane torch just enough to be uncomfortable to touch, no more. The seal is usually more of a hassle to get seated completely from my experience, a tight fit on the three pair of Zokes I've done.

Spectro 125/150 fork fluid or if you have a Honda shop nearby 50/50 mix of SS7 and SS8 (5w and 10w) fork fluid.