Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Suspension

Enduro Suspension Tuning & maintenance of Enduro forks, shocks, etc

Old 08-31-2011, 10:06 AM

drosodd,here's a vote for the 5.8 spring for you. i'm 195lbs without gear,225 all geared up inc toolbelt and 3 liters of water. i finally got my 5.6 rear spring that i ordered back in may. it tested out at 5.8 on a racetech spring tester. put it in and set my sag to approx 110. bike feels real good in a variaty of terrian. singletrack, square edge bumps,rocks roots etc are all pretty good. frt forks ,i have 4.6 springs installed. the bike feels plusher and more controlled on both ends now that the spring rates match my weight better. a 5.8 spring with very little preload should give you a very nice ride. i'm a firm believer in strong springs with very little preload. my 525 exc dualsport baja bike has 50's in the forks and a ps30 progressive (approx 9.3-10.4 ratio) in the rear. it rides nice with all my gear,coyote bag with spares and clothes and my big 25 liter acerbis fuel tank up frt. so my vote is bigger is better.

Old 08-31-2011, 10:53 AM
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by drorsdd View Post
we don't have ruts...
where are you located? no ruts?

Stainless Cycle - Motorcycle Bolt Kits
www.stainlesscycle.com
Old 08-31-2011, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stainlesscycle View Post
where are you located? no ruts?
thanks cactusreid, well hope the 5.8 won't be too stiff worst case ill just try and get a 5.6 later on...

i am in Israel, soil is very hard dry and rocky, the only ruts i bump into are winter left over from some 4x4 that got stuck they are deep and after they dry out its very dangerous to crush in them.

unfortunately winters became very very dry the last few years with little rain, so we don't get deep ruts at the special test/races , i can't remember a race since 2006 where it actually rained during...and the local enduro championship is from oct-jun with usually 80-120 riders participating.

http://vimeo.com/8907899
Old 08-31-2011, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CACTUSREID View Post
drosodd,here's a vote for the 5.8 spring for you. i'm 195lbs without gear,225 all geared up inc toolbelt and 3 liters of water. i finally got my 5.6 rear spring that i ordered back in may. it tested out at 5.8 on a racetech spring tester. put it in and set my sag to approx 110. bike feels real good in a variaty of terrian. singletrack, square edge bumps,rocks roots etc are all pretty good. frt forks ,i have 4.6 springs installed. the bike feels plusher and more controlled on both ends now that the spring rates match my weight better. a 5.8 spring with very little preload should give you a very nice ride. i'm a firm believer in strong springs with very little preload. my 525 exc dualsport baja bike has 50's in the forks and a ps30 progressive (approx 9.3-10.4 ratio) in the rear. it rides nice with all my gear,coyote bag with spares and clothes and my big 25 liter acerbis fuel tank up frt. so my vote is bigger is better.
Where did you buy the 5.6 that tested 5.8? Maybe I'm riding a 5.8 and recommending a 5.6

+1 on the 4.6 fork springs
Old 08-31-2011, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lankydoug View Post
Where did you buy the 5.6 that tested 5.8? Maybe I'm riding a 5.8 and recommending a 5.6

+1 on the 4.6 fork springs
by the way what is the stock rate for the front Marzochi?
Old 08-31-2011, 05:42 PM
Site Sponsor

Cannon racecraft for springs

Quote:
Originally Posted by drorsdd View Post
it may help someone..

after speaking with the main tech guy for Ohlins in Sweden, i need a 5.8 spring.
he also noted that adding preload beyond the max 10mm can damage the shock internals.

ordering a 5.8 shock from a dealer (those springs are hard to find as dealers hardly stock them)

must say Stacy at Ohlins USA and Lars from Ohlins Sweden where super friendly and very happy to help.

for now will set it back to 10mm preload and live with the sag i get, rather then push to 105mm with too much preload that can hurt the shock.
Ride with confidence again!

Made in the USA
Old 08-31-2011, 09:11 PM

Height makes a difference because of more leverage a taller rider exerts on the frame. I'm 5'8" and one of my riding buddies is 6'5". We're about the same speed and weight and both ride 300's, but his spring rate is heavier than mine.
Old 09-01-2011, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toolmaker View Post
Height makes a difference because of more leverage a taller rider exerts on the frame. I'm 5'8" and one of my riding buddies is 6'5". We're about the same speed and weight and both ride 300's, but his spring rate is heavier than mine.
That's what I figured the reason was but besides being able to plant the rear tire a lot harder tall people can also tolerate the bike kicking around under them as well without disrupting their balance. I've just never had a suspension tuner tell me how they change the set up to take advantage of a tall rider.
Old 09-03-2011, 01:47 PM

my 5.6 spring that tested at 5.8 came right out of an ohlins box that said 5.6 on the end. the marrochi stock frt springs are 42's i believe. at least on my 2011 ec 300 they were.
Old 09-03-2011, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CACTUSREID View Post
my 5.6 spring that tested at 5.8 came right out of an ohlins box that said 5.6 on the end. the marrochi stock frt springs are 42's i believe. at least on my 2011 ec 300 they were.
My GasGas has Ohlins front and back and LTR installed a 5.6 rear spring that was an aftermarket spring that fit a Sachs or Ohlins shock. They put 4.6 in the forks which feel about the same as the stock springs in my 09 Husky WR250 with 50mm Zokes. I've asked a couple of tuners what the stock spring is in my Husky Zokes and never got a straight answer only that they should be close to what I needed for a 205lb rider.