Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Suspension

Enduro Suspension Tuning & maintenance of Enduro forks, shocks, etc

Old 10-08-2011, 03:15 AM

Shivers.... i hear ya, my 08 450 which i luv still beats me up at the end of the day, today i rode a mates stock ktm 450 09 model and the bike is shit loads better... so plush and planted so much so i am loooking a selling the gasser to get some comfort, ive had the front and rear revalved, springs at both ends where fine for my weight, its a pitty i felel every god dam bump compared to his ktm i wish i never rode it, even the ohlins rear isnt as plush but its the forks that really suck, i have no idea on slims and dont want to stuff around with it, if i cant fix it i will sadly become orange, i am going to speak to sus guy and see if i can expect to get the ride from the shiver the 09 wp delver.

Old 10-08-2011, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggg View Post
today i rode a mates stock ktm 450 09 model so plush and planted
nothing plush about stock ktm WP forks, you sure they were not revalved? Which ktm 450 did he have, there's a few versions with different fork setups, they are not bad, but they are not plush without some work, that said I can ride my KTM 450 with stock forks without too much effort

the revalved forks on my 11 ec250 blow them away though
Old 10-08-2011, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBlah View Post
nothing plush about stock ktm WP forks, you sure they were not revalved? Which ktm 450 did he have, there's a few versions with different fork setups, they are not bad, but they are not plush without some work, that said I can ride my KTM 450 with stock forks without too much effort

the revalved forks on my 11 ec250 blow them away though
Apparently you haven't ridden the new KTMs. The suspension is amazingly plush. I rode an 2010 530 this afternoon that the suspension was as plush and controlled as almost any revalve I've ever ridden. I was amazed, WP certainly wasn't know for this stock.
Old 10-09-2011, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ud_luz View Post
Apparently you haven't ridden the new KTMs. The suspension is amazingly plush. I rode an 2010 530 this afternoon that the suspension was as plush and controlled as almost any revalve I've ever ridden. I was amazed, WP certainly wasn't know for this stock.
I have, and I own an 08, back to back I did not think the 10's forks were any better, the factory valving did not change that much between those years either

they are not bad, but they are no where near as plush as a set of forks revalved by a good tuner, regardless of brand. For WP forks I like ktmworld or bruce's terrain tamer setups, but the terrain tamer modification is pretty extensive and I don't think it's reversible. For zokes I like randall ellison's work
Old 10-09-2011, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBlah View Post
I have, and I own an 08, back to back I did not think the 10's forks were any better, the factory valving did not change that much between those years either

they are not bad, but they are no where near as plush as a set of forks revalved by a good tuner, regardless of brand. For WP forks I like ktmworld or bruce's terrain tamer setups, but the terrain tamer modification is pretty extensive and I don't think it's reversible. For zokes I like randall ellison's work
Honestly I was amazed at how well the 2010 530 was after he had worked with the clickers and installed the springs for his weight. It was so good I may well send my 300 down the road, that's how bad it is even after having the suspension set up.

It was like riding a cloud with excellent bottoming control compared to having 2x4's bolted in place of forks. Even my 04 400exc stock is much better than my 07 GG after revalve.

My favourite WP guru is FutureShox in Arizona. I had him do the setup on an 07 525 and noticed he redrilled oil holes and other mods. Most excellent results.
Old 10-09-2011, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ud_luz View Post
Honestly I was amazed at how well the 2010 530 was after he had worked with the clickers and installed the springs for his weight. It was so good I may well send my 300 down the road, that's how bad it is even after having the suspension set up.

It was like riding a cloud with excellent bottoming control compared to having 2x4's bolted in place of forks. Even my 04 400exc stock is much better than my 07 GG after revalve.

My favourite WP guru is FutureShox in Arizona. I had him do the setup on an 07 525 and noticed he redrilled oil holes and other mods. Most excellent results.
nothing magic, just a good tuner, well maybe some voodoo, both are open chamber forks too right?

who valved your 300's forks?

the key is the tuner, I wont open my forks/shock myself, it's the only thing I send to someone that knows the brand and how to get them to work well. I'm hyper sensitive to bad fork valving, my wrists and hands cant take it

I could ride a bike with a blown rear shock and I couldnt care less, I ride standing up (back cant handle sitting) the linkless ktm's never bothered me at all, the only thing I notice with them is they skip around a little more than linked bikes, and dont put down quite as much traction
Old 10-10-2011, 09:36 AM

Are these the new WP closed cartridge forks your comparing?
Old 10-10-2011, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMP View Post
Are these the new WP closed cartridge forks your comparing?
No, just the regular open chamber. I'm going to pull off the shock and send it to Les, I think I'll have him relook at the forks.

I might not have made it real clear to him the terrain we ride. EXTREMELY rocky, technical type stuff. The Zokes just beat you to death on this stuff. I changed the fork oil out and put in 10 weight which actually made them better. This is all screwed up from what it should be.
Old 10-10-2011, 03:02 PM

The fact that 10W improved things should tell you something: its a rebound problem. Oil viscosity affects rebound more than compression.

My local stuff borders on trials terrain in spots. The forks can be made to work. I raced in a fast, rough, hacked up sand/woods course yesterday. The bike worked as well as could be expected, but hanging on for 2nd place beat the crap out of my hands. I was going through the travel with the soft rock valving way to fast. Les is a great guy, he will make it right.
Old 10-10-2011, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMP View Post
The fact that 10W improved things should tell you something: its a rebound problem. Oil viscosity affects rebound more than compression.

My local stuff borders on trials terrain in spots. The forks can be made to work. I raced in a fast, rough, hacked up sand/woods course yesterday. The bike worked as well as could be expected, but hanging on for 2nd place beat the crap out of my hands. I was going through the travel with the soft rock valving way to fast. Les is a great guy, he will make it right.
I really didn't make it that clear to Les where I ride this thing. Actually it's not bad on fast trails, the control is pretty good. I figured a good part was rebound when I went to the heavier oil. It's still absolutely terrible at high speeds on the heavy rocks. I run Bridgestone UHD tubes because of so many pinch flats.

The WP forks, especially 09 and newer, really do work well in these conditions with proper adjustment and springs. I was rather surprised since it seems they really didn't have a handle on it for a long time.