Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine - 2 stroke

Enduro Engine - 2 stroke Cylinder, Piston, Tranny, Bearings, Clutch, Pipes & Silencers, etc.

Old 05-09-2024, 10:18 PM

Question 2018 GasGas EC300 Redline oil

Hey everyone?. I?m new here. I inherited my brothers EC300 a couple of years ago when he passed away. I am finally getting it out for a ride. I picked up some Redline oil. Anyone running that? What ratio are you mixing it at? I used to have a KTM which I sold when I got this and I ran different oil so just looking for a direction on that. Thanks!

Old 05-10-2024, 01:26 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychoMonkey View Post
Hey everyone?. I?m new here. I inherited my brothers EC300 a couple of years ago when he passed away. I am finally getting it out for a ride. I picked up some Redline oil. Anyone running that? What ratio are you mixing it at? I used to have a KTM which I sold when I got this and I ran different oil so just looking for a direction on that. Thanks!
Anywhere between 32:1 and 50:1 on the mix ratio. I prefer more oil in the mix at 32:1 or 36:1. I prefer more oil in the mix - better lubrication, better ring seal and better heat transfer away from the piston.

I will add that oils and mix ratios can cause for long discussions about which is best. Kind of like a "what is the best chain lube" discussion... :-)

There is a japanese rating for 2 stroke oils. JASO FD is highest rating. And Jaso FC is similar in lubricating ability. I look for an oil that meets the JASO FD spec. And I look for labeling that says it "meets" the specification. Many oils will say "user where JASO FD recommended". These don't really meet the spec.

There are many good oils out there that will do "just fine" that don't have jaso rating. But I prefer to find one that does.. Just personal preference.

jeff
Old 05-10-2024, 04:10 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by webmaster View Post
. . .

I will add that oils and mix ratios can cause for long discussions about which is best. Kind of like a "what is the best chain lube" discussion... :-)
Ooh. That will be creek eel rubbed from the belly onto a warm chain.
At midnight.

Sorry to hear of you brother's passing. Maybe getting into nature and pulling wheelies will be a nice tribute. But don't force it. If you enjoy it, it's a gift. If it's not for you, then it's an experience.
'22 765 Street Triple RS
'21 XTrainer
'69 Stinger T125 Suzuki
'23 TRS 250RR (it's a Trials thing)

Last edited by (F5); 05-14-2024 at 02:42 PM.
Old 05-10-2024, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by webmaster View Post
Anywhere between 32:1 and 50:1 on the mix ratio. I prefer more oil in the mix at 32:1 or 36:1. I prefer more oil in the mix - better lubrication, better ring seal and better heat transfer away from the piston.

There is a japanese rating for 2 stroke oils. JASO FD is highest rating. And Jaso FC is similar in lubricating ability. I look for an oil that meets the JASO FD spec. And I look for labeling that says it "meets" the specification. Many oils will say "user where JASO FD recommended". These don't really meet the spec.

There are many good oils out there that will do "just fine" that don't have jaso rating. But I prefer to find one that does.. Just personal preference.

jeff
Thanks for the input. I appreciate that.
I did not know about the JASO FD rating so I?ll keep an eye on that.
Old 05-10-2024, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by (F5) View Post
Ooh. That will be creek eel rubbed from the belly onto a warm chain.
At midnight.

Sorry to hear of you brother's passing. Maybe getting into nature and pulling wheelies will be a nice tribute. But don't force it. If you enjoy it, it's a gift. If it's not for you, then it's an experience.
Oh I figured it may open up a can of greasy worms asking this!

Thanks for the kind words. I appreciate that. Maybe I didn?t explain myself much. I had a KTM which I raced hare scrambles with for a number of years. Life got busy and I did it a bit less. So this is a good push to get back out there.
My brother did some racing racing as well and I?d like to point out that I beat him the last time we lined up for one together! ����
Old 05-11-2024, 05:14 PM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

I like the phrase, it's enough of a gift that I'm pretty well convinced that there will be some great single-track in the coming life!

Jeff
Old 05-14-2024, 03:05 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

I won't be the first person to think of that, but I will be the first to spoil it by spelling 'eel' incorrectly in the preceeding sentence. How embarrassing (corrected in my post).

Not a word I use a lot.
In fact the last time I saw an eel, I accidentally ran over the poor little guy. He'd probably been scared out of his tiny creek by the last irresponsible maniac on a dirtbike wheelieing through there.

Sorry little guy. Guess it was more of an experience day for you.
'22 765 Street Triple RS
'21 XTrainer
'69 Stinger T125 Suzuki
'23 TRS 250RR (it's a Trials thing)

Tags
ec300, redline