Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 02-06-2013, 06:38 AM

Default 'Upgrade' to a KTM 350EXC from My GG 300EC?

Has any-one ridden both - I have but not raced the 350 or rode in the wet.

My impression of the KTM 350 was it felt as light as the GG 300 and similar power, similar abaility to pop wheelies. Good brakes (as good as the GG) suspension felt good out of the box but was not an exhaustive test. Build quality felt A1 on the KTM and the motor was nice and smooth.

I'm wondering whether to go for the KTM - I fancy a change but also I'm feeling a bit down on the GG at the moment - main problem s are
1) I stall too easily in very slow enduro conditions which is actually because the motor makes so much torque so I shift up until there is little power available - this could be 2nd or 3rd at walking pace - then it's too easy to stall as the motor is probably doing 800rpm or something.
2) The lack of build quality is getting to me - most races will see plastic shrouds coming away from the tank somewhere, the seat is cracked and has lost a lug etc etc
I'm thinking if I'm changng bikes I'd prefer something different (so maybe not another GG 2t) and I don't want to shell out ?1000 on a rekluse on this old bike to fix the stalling issue.

'95 ish XR630 (died many times in Oz)

Old 02-06-2013, 07:32 AM
Super Moderator

"Lack of build quality", on a 9 year old bike?

Things have changed.
Old 02-06-2013, 07:41 AM

Resale value will be decent on the 350 when you decide that you should have bought another GG 300 (maybe with e-start?).
Old 02-06-2013, 08:47 AM

I'm finally going to retire my 2005 GG DE250 this summer. Two more races to go (fingers crossed).

Fit and finish? Dude, it left the dock in Spain back in 2004.

I am still open to getting a new/used Gasser but since I have found myself getting healthy (Paleo Diet), I am now considering a different direction -- 2013 KTM200 XC-W. The KTM200 comes in at 209 lbs dry (95kg) with estart, and I find that I rarely use even half the power of the RB-Modded Gasser.

I went to the KTM Ride Days three weeks ago near Phoenix.

Video (helmet cam and rider interviews) here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABhAj2tAr4Y

I rode 14 bikes (2T and 4T) from 125cc up to two versions of the Mighty 500 -- mostly XC and XC-W models. Unfortunately they didn't bring the 200.

More direct to your question, I found that the KTM350 (XC-W, I think, not XC) was about as much power as I wanted. I certainly felt no need to up-map it. I felt very comfy on the KTM 250 XCF as it still had some spirit to it, while the KTM250 XCF-W was mellower, completely linear (great for mud and slick roots in the East, I suspect). But the linear, utility feel of the 250XCF-W didn't "thrill" me, if you know what I mean. I'm just a 2T kinda guy.

Of course, both 4-strokes felt heavy, and that was on a 2-mile desert loop. Imagine it after an hour or so?

My favorite bike (since the 200 was absent) was the 150 XC (the 150SX lacked flywheel and the CDI map was too aggressive/spinny). The 150XC was very fun to ride around. Yet, there was no long, technical hill climb to test its torque delivery, and no long sand wash either. I could only imagine what another 50cc in the 200 XC-W would be like (especially after a head squish mod, and maybe an APC carb mod after they get that check valve flooding cure figured out).
Old 02-06-2013, 09:27 AM

The 350s do not have the greatest reliability record either. If it goes pop it could be a part out. Price the engine parts, I know a guy with a KTM 250F went through this. $2500 + in parts to fix a dropped valve. KTM 4strokes also run hot in the woods unless you can maintain good speed and airflow. Even the KTM 2strokes steam a lot easier than a GG. From what you describe this may not be the case.

Why not just get a 250 two stroke? 300s are too much off the bottom in many cases, been my opinion for years thats why I race 250s.
Old 02-06-2013, 09:28 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZRickD View Post
since I have found myself getting healthy (Paleo Diet).
I thought you looked thinner last weekend. It's not a diet, it's the way you choose to eat.
Old 02-06-2013, 11:25 AM

just get a gasser 200 then, i went from a 300 to my 200 because i allso wasn't using even half of the potential of that 300 and still not even using all of the 200 but feel much more at easy with it, feel like i'm more able to handle the 200.

you could allso try to lower compression, change needle and/or adjust ignition timing to lower the torque, or add some FWW?

in my opinion, wheter you buy a orange or a gasser or a honda or whatever green,yellow, or bleuish bike, you'll allways have some sort of maintenance.
be glad your gasser's engine isn't giving you troubles as opposed to some other brands (especially 4t!).

just think twice before you go elswhere.
maybe you could rent that bike you had in mind, or swap for a few rides with a fellow rider? just to get a feeling if it fits you or not.

a newer bike will allways feel "better" ,but the cost it brings ,as opposed to fixing your older bike,might not allways be as rewarding as you would 've hoped.

hope this helps you out.

ciao, Hannes.
Old 02-06-2013, 11:41 AM

Talking

The bad thing about the new thumpers is that if the engine "grenades' on you then you have a 2k repair bill or you part out your bike. The new thumpers are actually "disposable" machines. Besides, look at Cody Webb, he just ditched his thumper, went to the new Beta two stroke and beat Graham Jarvis(also on a two stroke Berg). You are going backward if you get a thumper, the two strokes are the future.IMHO.

"If you stop eating donuts you will live 3 years longer. It's just 3 more years that you want a donut."
―Comedian Lewis Black

"I think best when I have a wrench in my hands." Soichiro Honda

"Dreams are messages from the deep."
-Unknown Sardaukar
Old 02-06-2013, 04:52 PM
Super Moderator

I'm backing Glenn on this. Get a new EC250R. You'll be blown away by the improvements to the fit and finsih. It'll be a fresh bike. The suspension package and chasis will feel different and be a vast improvement. The engine change of capacity will feel different also. It'll make sure you're in the right gear more often than not. The 250 does that to you! As a bonus you'll still get to hang out here, and know that you're running a reliable donk.

You want a 4 stroke because your bike is stallling?? Google Ktm 350 stalling or flame-out. A 4 stroke never wants to chugg down in the revs as well as 2.
Old 02-06-2013, 05:19 PM

A KTM 350 would be the biggest letdown ever if you want a good woods bike!
Ortonville Minnesota