Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Chassis & Body

Enduro Chassis & Body Enduro Frame, Plastic, Brakes, Bars, Controls, wheels, tires, sprockets & gearing.

Old 11-15-2011, 09:52 AM

Default Swing arm question

Just ordered an all balls bearing kit for my swing arm.can anyone give me any tips on removing the old bearings. The engine is out at the minute so figured I'd do em and the old ones are shot to shit.. Cheers luke

Old 11-15-2011, 09:54 AM
Bronze Level Site Supporter

I'll be following this . I plan on doing mine this winter.

http://philipstewart.zenfolio.com
Old 11-15-2011, 10:40 AM

If you have a big enough vise, just use a socket as close to the bearing OD as possible and press them out. You may have to watch for deflection of the swingarm to avoid binding things up. A little heat from a propane torch on the aluminum can expand the arm and let the bearings slide out easier. Putting the new bearings in the freezer can aid pressing them back in. I use Bel Ray moly assembly lube and then coat axle grease on top of that before final assembly.

May have to use a small press if your vice is too small. I got a 12T one cheap from Harbor Freight.

'13 Beta 300RR - race bike
'02 GG300XC - "Billie Baroo"
'01 DR650
'02 GG 280 Pro
'06 YZ 250
'07 WR450
'00 TT125RL
'94 YZ200 - custom keeper
Old 11-15-2011, 10:46 AM
Site Sponsor

socket + vice works well. you will need a big 'receiver socket' to catch the old bearings. be careful with alignment when you press the new ones in. assembly lube, and finish with lots of waterproof grease is recommended. this job is lots easier with 2 people, as fumbling with socket alignment while holding swingarm square and turning the vice handle into position is tough alone. once you get the old bearing preloaded it'll move easy. that first twist of the vice is always a little unnerving.. keep in mind, to slowly set the depth of the new ones, if you go to far, it can be very hard (if not impossible to do without damaging the cages) on the bearings pushing them back out.. once you get one done you'll pop the others in pretty quickly..

Stainless Cycle - Motorcycle Bolt Kits
www.stainlesscycle.com
Old 11-15-2011, 12:11 PM

I had made up a big bar that I clamp in the vise with the proper diameter and thread on the end with a collar and nut. It's been so long since I used it, I forget what it looks like. It's at my brothers shop now or I would post a picture of it. It was just a matter of turning the nut with a wrench to press them in and out.
Old 11-15-2011, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
If you have a big enough vise, just use a socket as close to the bearing OD as possible and press them out. You may have to watch for deflection of the swingarm to avoid binding things up. A little heat from a propane torch on the aluminum can expand the arm and let the bearings slide out easier. Putting the new bearings in the freezer can aid pressing them back in. I use Bel Ray moly assembly lube and then coat axle grease on top of that before final assembly.

May have to use a small press if your vice is too small. I got a 12T one cheap from Harbor Freight.
+1 on the use of the vice. I'd put the new bearings in with the outside surface coated with coppaslip. The seals in the all balls kit are better than the o-rings which were standard on mine. There is less sticktion with seals. Not everyone here will agree though.
Old 11-15-2011, 06:03 PM

I made a "press" with some allthread washers and nuts much easier than a vice and one person can do it easy.I will try to post a pic tomorrow.

02 EC 200
03 MC 250
88 VT 800
01 TXT 280
Old 11-17-2011, 08:29 PM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Here's my first official post, so hi!

Anyway, I replaced my linkage bearings today, simply done. I used my bench vise and turned it so that the wheel end of the swinger was resting on the bench. I used a 13/16 deep socket to press out and a 1 1/4 shallow socket to receive the old bearing. The most important thing to remember is that you must remove the lip seals, or you are fighting a losing battle. The triple bearings in my linkage were so nasty that I had to chip the seal out, heat the outside of the linkage, and shock the press with a BAMFH after soaking with penetrating oil. Here are the pics of the swingarm, I didn't get pics of the linkage. Just know that the swinger is harder than the linkage, so once you do this, everything else is easy.

Note that the swingarm (on 2002 models, anyway) is asymmetrical around the bearing. The right side is "lower" than the left, thereby creating interference if you try to press from the right. However, when you need to press in the right side bearing, just use a shallow socket instead of the deep socket.
Old 11-17-2011, 08:51 PM
Site Sponsor

that's pretty much exactly how i do it.

Stainless Cycle - Motorcycle Bolt Kits
www.stainlesscycle.com
Old 11-17-2011, 11:57 PM

I never liked using the vise for this other than holding the swingarm in place. Too much fumbling with sockets, the vice, and the swingarm for my liking. I tack welded the "receiver socket" to the bottom part of a large C clamp so I only had to hold the "driver socket" and used the C clamp as my press. Ive also just used a socket on an old extension with a hammer. Just remember to use plenty of grease!!