Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Suspension

Enduro Suspension Tuning & maintenance of Enduro forks, shocks, etc

Old 08-01-2011, 09:34 AM

Default Help, my EC300 tried to kill me!

I need help from someone who knows a lot more about suspension than I do, lol! I just bought an 05 EC300 in absolutly pristine condition. It had hard;y been ridden and the previous owner treated it like a baby! It has a fresh engine rebuild and new bearings everywhere else. The previous owner told me the suspension was completly stock, he had'int even touched a clicker! The thing is, I took it out on the trail for the first time the other day and I have never ridden a bike that handled so bad!! On the loose rocky stuff, the front end jumps around like a pogo stick, it changes line and is basically uncontrollable! I dropped the bike twice on a tricky downhill cause I just couldnt steer it!
Would I be right in thinking the rebound is too slow so the forks just arent pushing the wheel back fast enough in the rough stuff? If someone could give me some ideas to try, I would be most grateful.
By contrast, the rear end was just incredible! Well planted, smooth, plush and grippy. Now, if only I could steer the thing, Im sure I would love it, lol!

Old 08-01-2011, 10:37 AM

What is your weight? From my experience the 1st and mandatory step is to get the correct springs for your weight front and back, then set the sag. Others may be able to help with dampening adjustments but you will never get the dampening right until the springs match your weight.
Old 08-01-2011, 05:08 PM

What is your SAG set at???????

02 EC 200
03 MC 250
88 VT 800
01 TXT 280
Old 08-01-2011, 05:17 PM

If it jumps like a pogo stick there is not enough dampening on rebound.. in otherwords.. its rebounding like crazy.. Go 5 clicks at a time, try it, 5 more, if it gets better your on the right track,, worse, go the other way... once you go too far and it starts to pack up, you will notice this,, go back.. Play with the clickers.. get used to them.. learn what they do.. And only do one thing at a time.. either compression or rebound.. so you know what your changing.. as a start on compression since I'm in the rocks I go full soft then 5 clicks in as a start point.. Once you find your happy setting,, write it down.. on the bike in grease pen.. then in different terrain when time permits try different settings.. if they work better write them down too and type of terrain.. rock xx click sand xx clicks etc..
03 KTM 625 sxc-rehab unit-did its job and now gone
03 GG 250 ec-gone
97 GG 250 ec Gone
Old 08-01-2011, 05:20 PM

Yeah I think your weight is a consideration in determining if different springs are required.

The other option that may fix is a revalve of the front forks, no spring change. I have heard that this fixes the slow rebound issue on the sachs forks without the need for heavier rated springs.
This has worked for a guy I know tipping 105kg's geared up and is what I am going to do in the next few mths.
Old 08-01-2011, 07:14 PM
Bronze Level Site Supporter

If the PO reckons he hasn't touched the fork and its had a fresh engine and bearings all round the fork oil will be like fish oil if theres any left.
Take them off and give to a suspension guru telling him your weight and ability.
Imo it will be the best money you spend on that bike.You just wont believe the difference for the better.
Old 08-01-2011, 09:48 PM

You recall what LTR did with the 2005 Zokes?

Lack of rebound (even then) was a major problem. For mine, he revalved the forks and used 10-weight oil in them.
Old 08-01-2011, 09:49 PM

are they the marzocchi? or sachs forks?
my 04 has the marzocchi, and they can be a little tempremental.
change the oil.
mine like lots or rebound damping, for the tight tech stuff round here, but make sure it doesnt pack down or you'll start lowsiding it.
Old 08-02-2011, 08:22 AM

Thankyou everyone for your help and advice. For the record, I am 106kg with all my gear on. When I sit on the bike, the rear sags as you would expect but the front compresses only a few millimetres so I feel the suspension is working in the correct part of the stroke. I took it for a ride today and played with the clickers a bit. I ended up winding the top clickers in 7 clicks in total and it was amazing how much difference it made! The bike now rides straight and is so much better! hard to believe a few clicks could make so much difference! I was too scared to play with them before, for fear of completly stuffing it all up but it feels awesome now!
How do I know when I have gone too far? Will it keep getting better if I keep clicking, lol? What is this "packing" of which you speak, and how do I recognise it?
Thanks again, and sorry for the Noob questions, my previous bike was an 02 KDX200 and that seemed to work fine so I never even touched it, lol!
Old 08-02-2011, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keewee View Post
Thankyou everyone for your help and advice. For the record, I am 106kg with all my gear on. When I sit on the bike, the rear sags as you would expect but the front compresses only a few millimetres so I feel the suspension is working in the correct part of the stroke. I took it for a ride today and played with the clickers a bit. I ended up winding the top clickers in 7 clicks in total and it was amazing how much difference it made! The bike now rides straight and is so much better! hard to believe a few clicks could make so much difference! I was too scared to play with them before, for fear of completly stuffing it all up but it feels awesome now!
How do I know when I have gone too far? Will it keep getting better if I keep clicking, lol? What is this "packing" of which you speak, and how do I recognise it?
Thanks again, and sorry for the Noob questions, my previous bike was an 02 KDX200 and that seemed to work fine so I never even touched it, lol!
106 kg is way too heavy for the stock springs especially the rear shock spring. The rear will sag too much and the bike will ride like a chopper and be very hard to turn. (been there done that)